About this course
This course aims to provide recent UofT physiotherapy graduates with an introductory overview of concussion assessment and management, hands-on skill development, and resources to be used in clinical practice. The course is based on best practice guidelines, up-to-date research and aims to be clinically relevant. This course will build upon participants’ existing knowledge learned through the UofT curriculum. Participants in this course can expect to obtain the tools to assess and manage a concussion injury patient, and the understanding of how to set up concussion as part of their clinical practice.
This course is intended for NEW PHYSIOTHERAPY GRADUATES at the University of Toronto.
Upon completion of this session participants will:
1. Understand the components of an acute concussion assessment, and for a patient presenting with post concussion symptoms
2. Determine the possible physiological mechanisms at fault post concussion
3. Conduct a comprehensive physiotherapy assessment for individuals with concussion using evidence-based tools and clinical reasoning
4. Clinically reason assessment priorities through subjective and objective assessment findings
5. Accurately interpret the findings of the assessment to develop a comprehensive treatment plan
6. Educate a patient with a concussion on symptom-based activity modification to expedite recovery and reduce symptoms
7. Apply appropriate manual therapy intervention for symptomatic management of a concussion patient
8. Support a patient in a goal-oriented graded return to physical activity/exercise/sport that reflects the findings of the physiotherapy assessment and is in accordance with current best-practice guidelines
4. Judiciously apply the findings of objective tests to develop a patient-specific concussion management plan
Lunch will be provided to all participants. Course administrators will reach out to participants closer to the course date to provide lunch order options.
REFUND POLICY – Participants may request a refund up to two weeks (14 calendar days) prior to the official start date of the course. No refunds will be granted after this time.
Date: Sunday, November 19th, 2023
Location: ALPHA Health Services East.
This is an in-person course.
$ 450 + tax if registered before October 15, 2023
$ 550 + tax if registered on October 15, 2023 and onwards
MAXIMUM PARTICIPANTS 16
Participants may request a refund up to two weeks (14 calendar days) prior to the official start date of the course. No refunds will be granted after this time.
Dr. Charlotte Anderson is a concussion and health systems researcher. She practices clinically in Toronto, Ontario.